Fun activities for you and your elementary school child
- Make tonight a "no cell phone or tablet" night with your family. Ask your child to help select other games or stories and spend quality time with them.
- Visit the library with your child. Encourage them to borrow books about a different country or culture.
- Teach your child about the importance of preserving nature. Show them how to recycle items like paper, glass and aluminum. You can also take part in a composting program if it's available in your neighborhood.
- Ask your child to help make lunch today. You can eat together after a hike or walk in the park.
- Make car trips with your child fun. Ask them to point out interesting license plates, billboards and signs.
- While on break, help your child make a "countdown to school" calendar. Ask them to cross off each day at bedtime. and figure out what they'd like to accomplish before classes resume.
- Encourage your child to make a to-do list today. Help them make a list of things they would like to accomplish tomorrow, then check the items once completed.
- Suggest that your child write a poem to express their feelings today. If they prefer, they can write a letter to a friend to mail or deliver at school.
- Encourage your child to make journal entries and keep track of their experiences in a new class or extracurricular activity.
- Help boost your child's self-esteem. Take pride in their achievements and tell them you love them today and every day.